Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Herzlichen Geburstag, Mutti!

My mom turns 70 years old today.

Why, I remember when she was just 38. (I really do).

1938
~the year when Saudi Arabia began producing oil, a natural resource that would transform a virtual dust bowl of a nation into one so wealthy that the King's main problem was what to do with too much money.

~US postage stamp cost 3 cents.

~Helen Moody and Don Budge win the Wimbledon Championships.

~Academy Award for Best Picture goes to The Life of Emile Zola

~Teflon is developed at Du Pont.

~George and Ladislav Biro invent the ballpoint pen.

~A blond baby girl is born in Karlsruhe, Germany in the middle of a war. She will grow up to be my mother, my friend, my cheerleader and my example. Despite the terror of being bombed and Post-war grief and poverty she knew as a little girl, or maybe because of it, I grew up always knowing I was safe and loved by her. Even if she didn't always like my fashion choices.

Ich liebe dich, mutti. Du bist schön innen und außen. Ich freue mich sehr, Sie sind meine Mutti.

2 comments:

Jacque said...

Happy Birthday to your mom!

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday to your Mommy!!!!!!