Thursday, September 18, 2008

Nestling in tiny threads.

Chains do not hold a marriage together.
It is threads, hundreds of tiny threads
which sew people together through the years.
~Simone Signoret

Ten years ago today, I met my future husband.

At Lodo's bar and grill.

Friday night, during Oktoberfest.

He and his 2 friends hit on me and my 2 friends.

His buddy introduced himself to me by saying, "Hi, My name is Matt. You know, like a doormat."

Um. . . . no. No, I'm not going to talk to you, DoorMatt.

Jeremy sidled over to me and said, "You're not getting away so easy."

We exchanged names and he asked, "So how old are you, anyway?"

I was 27, and Jeremy was 24. But after I said I was 27, he lied and said he was 25.

I was immediately smitten.

He called the following Tuesday, and we went on our first date on September 26, 1998.

Six weeks later, he asked me to move in with him.

Four months later, we did.

Two years later, he asked me to marry him.

Eighteen months after that, I did.

Jeremy is one of the few people on earth who can make me laugh so hard I cry.

Jeremy and I are the only ones who know what it is to love Brody like we do.

Jeremy and I are the only ones who know what it is to know the fear of seeing Brody carried into surgery.

This morning, Brody called for me but then he went back to sleep. Jeremy and I laid in bed another hour, awake but not wanting to get up and face the work day. I laid on his chest, he rubbed my back, and we watched the sky lighten.

Brody eventually truly woke up. I went into his room, and he asked me "Dahhhhdeee?" I said he's still sleeping (even though he wasn't anymore).

So we "snuck" into our bedroom, and we crept onto the bed, where Jeremy was pretending to still be asleep. Brody was so excited he kept having bursts of laughs, and then, grinning ear to ear, he "attacked" Jeremy, and Jeremy acted surprised and Brody laughed more.

The three of us laid in bed, watching the Today show, snuggled under the covers, while Brody had a bottle. It was bliss.

1 comment: