Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Nostalgic Quoting

I am a collector of quotes. And am doing so again to help celebrate my niece's graduation from law school in May.

During that process, I ran across a quote I found in 2005.

I found it in an email I wrote in 2005. I still don't know who said it. But when I emailed it to my friend, I wrote that it gave me chills when I read it for the first time. At the time, I was pregnant for the third time and full of hope again, and, little did I know, about to have my third miscarriage.

Here it is:

We must plant a seed of the thing
that we desire for our life
as though it were ours now.
Affirm this:
that which I seek is now seeking me.

That last line slays me every time.

Tears and chills and hope, oh so much hope even when it seemed like there was no right to be anything but nothing, but hoped backed by a determination that we would not give up in the seeking, that we were not alone in the seeking.

I would eventually print the quote out and look at it every day while pregnant with Brody.

He was trying to get to me as much as I was trying to get to him.

Do you have any quotes that have stayed with you?

5 comments:

Carol said...

Hi,
I'm glad Brody is doing so well after surgery....
Here's my favorite quote. I discovered it as an undergrad and it reminds me that I must believe in dreams and go after them each and every day. Now that I have Lucas, I hope to fill him with this kind of confidence in himself...
“If one advances confidently in the direction of one's dreams, and endeavors to live the life which one has imagined, one will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.”
Henry David Thoreau

Anonymous said...

"A person's a person, no matter how small...."

by Dr.Seuss

We has this inscription carved on our stillborn daughter's headstone. After Benj was born a Nurse practicioner in the NICU unknowingly shared this quote with Glenn and I and told us that the most important job we will have as Benj's parents is to make sure to always remind doctors that he is a person, not a diagnosis or a condition. I think this was the best advice I ever got based on a quote that laready haunted me. I make it a point now to make sure doctors talk to Benj, explain what they are doing and give him choices. He's only 2 but he's a wise little two year old.

Lori

SaRaH said...

I'm can't pick a favorite quote, but I love yours. Stealing it and affirming it.

Hez said...

One of my favorites..."Life is change. Groth is optional. Choose wisely." I do not remember author. I always think of it when life changes, especially in ways that I do not like or want.

Hez said...

I ment GROWTH ;)